Banana Bread

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

I really love banana bread. Okay, I love anything with bananas, but if I'm going to whip up something with bananas, it's going to be some good warm, comforting, bread. I bake when I'm stressed and have a lot on my mind....I needed to bake something over the weekend. My very first day of grad school was Monday and I had a long weekend of overthinking, over-analyzing and just general freaking out to do. I let myself get overly stressed and anxious with new situations. I am so excited to get started with grad school and be able to really focus on my area of interest, but it meant starting something big and new in a new (to me) school with all new people and situations (not to mention parking which is a nightmare and I've already gotten a parking ticket...oops). This is all a recipe for lack of sleep for me. The week has started off great though! I already really enjoy my classmates and teachers and I think my classes are going to be really great!
 



This recipe comes from my new favorite cookbook, How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. It really is amazing! I especially like this particular banana bread recipe because it uses a combo of both all-purpose and whole wheat flours, thus adding more fiber and nutrients to this bread. Tastes great and is healthy-ish...win win!

Here is everything you'll need...


Banana Bread

Time: about 1 hour | Makes 1 loaf

Ingredients:
8 tbsp. (1 stick) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork until smooth
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)

Preparation Instructions:
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with butter.

Mix together the dry ingredients. With a hand mixer or whisk, cream the butter and beat in the eggs and bananas. Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients, just enough to combine (it's okay if there are lumps). Gently stir in the vanilla, nuts and coconuts.

Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until nicely browned. A toothpick inserted in the center of the bread will come out fairly clean when done, but because of the bananas this bread will remain moister than most. Do not overcook. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.



The nuts and shredded coconut are optional. So add in what you like. I'm a banana bread purist... nuts have no place in my banana bread! I hope you give this bread a try, and check out Mr. Bittman's cookbook. If you love to cook and want to know how to make absolutely everything, it's for you. I also love it because I really enjoy making as much as possible from scratch (bread, mayo, salad dressing, etc) and he has endless amounts of recipes for all these things and more and then numerous variations of each. Excellent! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

.

Flickr Images