Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Balls

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Sorry I've been a little MIA these past couple of weeks. I finished up my 12 Week Transformation with my trainer and now I'm feeling better then ever and ready to start cooking up some healthy food to share with all of you! This Sunday I did my typical grocery run and food prep for the week (more on that process still to come), and I made these awesome protein balls to curb afternoon cravings! These Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Balls are the perfect answer to a sweet tooth, and even better, they don't require any actual cooking. Think of bite-sized, good for you, no-bake cookies. Sweet! Enjoy!



Here's everything you will need. Note that I used a chocolate protein powder. I did this because I like to add a little more protein to our diet wherever I can. It keeps me full and fuels my workouts. The original recipe I adapted this from called for cocoa powder instead, which is totally fine if you'd rather use that. Another note, any other type of nut butter can be used instead of peanut butter. I like Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter because listed under ingredients is: peanuts.....that's it! You could also make these with almond butter, sunflower butter, the sky's the limit. Play with whatever you like!


Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Balls

Prep Time: 15 min. | Cook Time: 0 min. | Makes 20-25 servings

Ingredients:
1 cup quick oats (or any kind of dry oatmeal you want to use)
2/3 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
1/4 cup chocolate protein powder
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preparation Instructions:
Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl. If you notice it's a little too dry, you can add a little more honey. Too wet? Add a little more oatmeal. When it's all mixed together, cover and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. This will make it easier to handle later when you form it into balls. 

Once chilled, form into balls. I made mine into about a 2-bite sized ball, so about an inch across. Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to a week. That's it!

Recipe adapted from this recipe.

This recipe made 22 balls for me (there are 20 in the picture because the husband and I had to sample them to make sure they were just right!) and when I put all the ingredients into my calorie counter the nutritional content was this (per ball):
Calories: 63
Fat: 2.7 g
Carbs: 8.5 g
Protein: 2 g

These numbers may vary on the different brands and ingredients you use. After they were all done, I packaged them into these nifty little baggies from Target. They're my new favorite thing in the entire world. My snack bags had 2 balls, and my husband's had 3.


This was my lunch and snacks yesterday. It was my first day back to work since finishing up my 12 week transformation with my trainer. It wasn't hard for me to make the right choices as far as good nutrient-rich foods, but having a carb with my lunch felt odd and I got really bloated in the afternoon. So much so, that I'm thinking of continuing my no carb (or at least very low carb) lunch and dinner. We'll see. Remember carbohydrates are very important for our bodies and our energy levels, I'm not bashing carbs here, just limiting the amount and the type that I eat. I had a turkey club wrap (deli smoked turkey, a strip of bacon, lettuce, baby spinach, tomato, homemade ranch mayo all on a whole grain tortilla), veggies with hummus and a couple small slices of sharp cheddar cheese. The fruit (strawberries, blueberries and red grapes) were my morning snack, and the protein balls were my afternoon snack. They were the perfect afternoon snack too because I was getting a sugar craving just as it was time to go grab those little babies from the fridge. Perfect! All in all not a bad day, but I think it was too much, I was really pretty full.


Wondering what in the world chia seeds are? Ground flax, huh? Check back in later this week and I'll give you some info on these awesome super foods!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Ok Linnie These look amazing too!!!! I want to make them too as soon as I finish my whole 30! You and I need to get together so I can't get some cooking lessons and meal prep. I know how to do basic stuff, but I am just not organized enough! maybe you can help me get that on track!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

.

Flickr Images