Chicken Fajitas

Monday, April 18, 2016

Happy Monday! I know it's not Taco Tuesday yet, but I'm giving you ideas a little bit early. I LOVE Taco Tuesday! When we were remodeling our kitchen, I couldn't cook for a good 2 months (Ah!!) and we became well acquainted with Taco Tuesday at our local Mexican restaurant. It's just the best concept ever. Today I have a really awesome fajita recipe for you!

Seriously who doesn't love fajitas! I think I'm going to establish Fajita Friday at our house. These fajitas are so simple and "skinny", not that fajitas are a particularly unhealthy recipe to begin with. These are made with your own seasoning, so no packets here, helping you control what is in them particularly the sodium. Just remember it's the type and amount of toppings you put on them that can really add the extra unwanted calories!

Chicken Fajitas

Total Time: approx. 30 minutes | Serves 4

Ingredients:
1-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts **
2 bell peppers, any color you like, cut into strips
1 medium onion, cut into strips
3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
Salt and pepper
2 tsp. olive oil
8 whole wheat flour tortillas, fajita size

Toppings:
Shredded cheese
Sour cream (optional)
Sliced avocado or guacamole (optional)

Preparation Instructions:
Marinate the chicken breasts with lime juice, and season with chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin. Set aside.

Season the sliced vegetables with salt and pepper and toss with olive oil. You can either grill your veggies and chicken indoors or outside on the grill. To grill the onions and peppers outside on the grill, use a cast iron skillet or vegetable basket and grill covered over medium heat until tender-crisp, about 10-12 minutes. Or, to cook them indoors, you can use a large skillet on the stove over medium heat for about 12-15 minutes, covered until the onions and peppers are tender-crisp. I like my veggies to still have a bite to them, not mushy, so cook them to whatever consistency you like best. When finished cooking, remove onions and peppers to a separate plate, and set aside.

Heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over medium heat; grill chicken until cooked through, about 8-10 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cutting board when completely cooked and cut into strips. Once cooked, combine with the peppers and onions. I cooked my chicken in the same pan that I cooked the vegetables, and then when I had sliced the chicken, I just combined everything back in the original pan to heat up the onions and peppers again.

Serve immediately with warm tortillas, cheese and whatever toppings you like! Enjoy!

**For just my husband and I, I used 1 lb of chicken and we had leftovers. So use 1-2 lbs depending on how many people you are serving.

Recipe adapted from SkinnyTaste.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

.

Flickr Images