Meal Plan - Week of Sept. 11

Monday, September 12, 2016

Hi everyone! I can't tell you how happy I am to be somewhat settled into our new house and finally able to start meal planning and prepping for the week! Doing this makes my week run so much smoother and saves us money on groceries. Seriously, it's a win win! 

Here is our menu for the week:


Don't freak out about the baked potatoes. Yes, I eat a potato once in a while. The difference is that the potatoes I use are normal sized. They're not the giant football-sized potatoes that you get at restaurants. The trick is portion size and not overdoing it. 

And here is our grocery haul:

I'm still getting used to the lighting in my new kitchen...sorry if my pictures suck for a bit. 

I didn't have to do a ton of prep for this week since our menu is really pretty simple, but I did do a few things. First I hard-boiled a bowl full of eggs. I like to have some eggs ready for snacks or quick breakfasts when my husband has to run out the door. Cooking my eggs is super quick and simple because I have a nifty gadget! We received an Egg Genie as a wedding gift 6 years ago and we still use it. It perfectly cooks 7 hard-boiled eggs in minutes. I don't have to do a thing!

The next thing I did was to whip up some homemade ranch dressing to use as a veggie dip and salad dressing all week. If you've never made your own ranch, you really need to! The difference is amazing! And it's really not difficult at all. I follow Pioneer Woman's recipe, link here.


The flavor is so much better than store bought, but also I know exactly what went into it. There are no preservatives or fillers, and no extra sodium. It's just better all the way around. When it's made, I just pop it in a mason jar and into the fridge. I also cut up some carrots and celery. And yes, I'm one of those crazy people who cuts their own carrot sticks.


Having these veggies and dressing ready to go in the fridge ensures we'll have healthy snacks when we need them. It never fails that I'll study all day, starve and raid the fridge. I'm not alone in that though, a lot of times my husband gets so busy at work that he doesn't have the chance to eat all day, then comes home and eats whatever he sees. If I have better options readily available, chances are we'll both make better decisions!

Meal Planning Tip of the Week: Make a weekly theme night like Taco Tuesday or Pizza Friday. We're having both this week because we haven't had either in a while. Taco Tuesday is really simple and delicious, and a perfect weeknight meal. Pizza Friday just seems like an American thing to do. We make our own whole-wheat crust (I'm pretty sure I've shared that recipe on here before) which is enough for 2 pizzas. My husband really likes to help out when we make the pizza and makes a really delicious BBQ chicken pizza with red onion and cilantro. Then we make a big loaded supreme pizza with the second crust. I think theme nights can really help with the planning process because when you sit down to start your menu, you're not overwhelmed with a blank page and nowhere to begin. Give it a try and let me know what you decide to have each week with your family!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I have been wanting to make my own Greek Chicken...but never trust the recipes...I am not sure why! But I am going to have to try this. I miss Mad Greek from Lawrence so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using the recipe more for the Tzatziki sauce, and I'll post how it turns out and any tweaks I thought it needed! And I LOVE the Mad Greek!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

.

Flickr Images