THE Chocolate Chip Cookie

Thursday, October 01, 2015

Hi everyone! Long time no see! I'm really sorry for being MIA the past couple of weeks. News flash: grad school takes a lot of your time! Who knew?! I am now about 6 weeks in to my first semester of graduate school and I absolutely love it...my teachers, classmates, classes...it's all been great. I've learned SOOO much and it makes me excited to eventually have the career in wellness and nutrition that I've always wanted. But it is very time-consuming. I study ALL the time! I haven't had as much time to cook as I'd like, so if my posts are sporadic I apologize and just stick with me please!


That all being said, I'm sharing a not-so-nutritious recipe with you today! I feel bad for not posting for so long AND today is National Homemade Cookie Day! Who knew such a thing existed. Like everybody, I love chocolate chip cookies. My favorites are oatmeal chocolate chip but my husband is more of a purist. I've always used the chocolate chip cookie recipe on the Nestle Tollhouse wrapper, just like Phoebe Buffay (if you don't know what I'm talking about, 1. shame on you! and 2. go watch Friends!) but I found this recipe on one of my favorite baking websites and it is now my go to! They're perfectly soft and amazing! My husband is not a crunchy cookie guy, so these were perfect for him. The secret? Cornstarch! Yea, something about the cornstarch (it's science-y and I won't bore you with it) keep the cookies soft and perfect! I hope you take some time to bake today, it makes the whole day better, well for me at least! Enjoy these amazing cookies and let me know what you think!!


THE Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes: ~2 dozen cookies

Ingredients:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preparation Instructions:
In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Important step! Be sure to do that for the full minute! Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix on medium speed until fluffy and light in color. Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. On low speed, slowly mix to the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be quite thick. Add the chocolate chips and mix for about 5 seconds until evenly mixed. Cover dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour, and even up to 2 days. Chilling is mandatory for this cookie dough!!

Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Once chilled, the dough will be slightly crumbly, but roll the dough into approximately 1 tbsp amount individuals balls with your hands. Bake for 8-9 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges. They will look really soft and not completely done when you remove them from the oven, this is how they're supposed to be! All the cookies to cool for about 5 minutes while still on the cookie sheet. Then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.

 Keep the cookies in a covered container for about a week. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months, or freeze the uncooked dough balls...although I don't know how anyone would have the will power to just make the dough to freeze and not bake a couple. You are stronger than I!

Recipe adapted from here!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

.

Flickr Images